A quick and concise guide on why we love snail mucin and you should, too.
As a brand that sings praises to versatile ingredients that make life easier and skin healthier, we love snail mucin dearly. From providing a boost of hydration and filling wrinkles, to fading dark spots and healing sunburns, it seems like there is nothing snail mucin can’t do. It’s also a compliant team player. You can safely pair with any other ingredients in your routine and be assured it won’t give you any unexpected surprises.
Sounds rather magical, isn’t it?
But there is a simple explanation for why so many people swear by snail products as their anti-aging holy grail. It has to do with the chemical composition of the mucus. Read alone for the scoop!
Snail mucin is in and of itself is an animal-derived growth factor. Growth factors are natural proteins that signal skin cells that some housekeeping – such as repairing broken skin – is due. This wound-healing property is what initially made the “icky” ingredient famous, but if we look at a more detailed chemical breakdown, it will show that snail mucin can do so much more than just tissue repair.
So, what’s in snail mucin?
- Allantoin – a soothing moisturizer that can also treat, prevent and reduce scarring.
- Glycolic Acid – a type of AHA (alpha-hydroxy acid) that works as a chemical exfoliant and has well-documented anti-aging benefits. Skincare community praises glycolic acid for its ability to improve skin texture, smooth stubborn wrinkles making the skin thicker and bouncier overall.
- Hyaluronic Acid – does it need any introduction? Hyaluronic acid is uber-famous for its water-binding properties. It’s an excellent humectant that draws moisture from the environment into the skin and with that prevents trans-epidermal water loss.
- Glycosaminoglycans – sugar-based molecules that maintain healthy collagen and elastin levels. They also help the skin to retain moisture better to keep that supple, hydrated look and feel longer.
- Copper peptides – aptly named as a “natural botox,” this family of peptides are known for their ability to make the skin more firm and plump. They also promote faster skin healing while improving the overall texture of the skin.
- Last but not least, Natural Anti-bacterials – as the name suggests, these substances are meant to destroy bacteria and prevent them from growing and multiplying.
That’s an impressive list you’d typically find in tried-and-tested anti-aging products. This makes snail mucin a natural age-defying ingredient that can treat the skin suffering from extreme dehydration and dryness, loss of firmness, elasticity, and wrinkles. It can also help to fade away dark spots and hyper-pigmentation. Some even suggest that snail mucin goes further than just a cosmetic spot treatment and is capable of repairing sun-damaged skin on the cellular level.
The main question is – is it as effective as more conventional anti-aging treatments like retinol creams and products with a high concentration of glycolic acid? The answer is, as always, it depends. While retinoids and glycolic acid have a long trail of clinical studies to support its efficacy, they are also infamous for being very harsh and irritating. To the point of making it a persona non grata in the skincare regimen of those with sensitive skin types. Snail products then become a milder, safer alternative without unpleasant side-effects. Some dermatologists even recommend it over potent actives because it minimizes the risk of allergic reactions, doesn’t cause dryness and is easy to incorporate into anyone’s skincare routine. Snail products are also an excellent entry-level option for those who are just starting their anti-aging game and simply don’t want anything too sensitizing.
But it is precisely the gentle and non-irritating nature of snail mucin that makes it more of a long-term ingredient rather than an overnight fix. Yes, you will notice the instant glow and feel the boost of hydration, but to really reap those long-term sustainable anti-aging benefits you should give it some time. Apply it diligently, mix with other nourishing products and one day you will look in the mirror and be surprised how much younger, firmer and bouncier your skin looks.